LST-721 was laid down on 3 July 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 7 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Mary L. Hogan; and commissioned on 9 September 1944.
During World War II, LST-721 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Visayan Island landings—March and April 1945
Balikpapan operation—June and July 1945
Following the war, LST-721 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-November 1945. She was decommissioned on 24 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. The ship was reinstated on 21 November 1946. LST-721 was restruck from the Navy list on 10 June 1947 and sold to Green's Bayou Transports, New Orleans, La., on 8 March 1948 for non-self-propelled operation.
LST-721 earned two battle stars for World War II service.