LST-720 was laid down on 7 July 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 12 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Ellen C. Harvey; and commissioned on 4 September 1944, Ens. J. D. Shepard in command.
During World War II, LST-720 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Lingayen Gulf landingóJanuary 1945
Mindanao Island landingóMarch 1945
Following the war, LST-720 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 24 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 23 October 1947, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., of Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-720 earned two battle stars for World War II service.