LST-717 was laid down on 20 June 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 29 July 1944; sponsored by Miss Lou Anne Malsie; and commissioned on 23 August 1944, Lt. Karl F. Melde, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-717 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Palawan Island landings—January 1945
Mindanao Island landings—April 1945
Following the war, LST-717 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early June 1946. She was decommissioned on 12 June 1946. On 17 February 1948, the ship was transferred to the Nationalist Government of the Republic of China under the terms of lend-lease. LST-717 was struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1948.
LST-717 earned one battle star for World War II service.