LST-715 was laid down on 7 June 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 20 July 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Loudie S. Moffatt; and commissioned on 15 August 1944.
During World War II, LST-715 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Assault and occupation of Iwo JimaŚFebruary and March 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa GuntoŚMay and June 1945
Following the war, LST-715 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-September 1945. She was decommissioned on 17 April 1946 and transferred to the United States Army on 28 June that same year. The ship was struck from the Navy list on 29 September 1946. Reacquired by the Navy on 25 July 1950, LST-715 was redesignated DeKalb County (LST-715) after counties in six states of the United States on 1 July 1955. She was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service in December 1965 where she served as USNS DeKalb County until struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1973.
LST-715 earned two battle stars for World War II service.