LST-709 was laid down on 18 May 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 24 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Sarah E. Lodewick; and commissioned on 21 July 1944, Lt. (jg.) George P. Cruickshank, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-709 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Leyte landings—November 1944
Palawan Island landings—January 1945
Visayan Island landings—March and April 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—March 1945
Brunei Bay operation—June 1945
Following the war, LST-709 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 3 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 19 June 1948, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., of Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped. LST-709 earned four battle stars for World War II service.