Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-708

 

LST-708 was laid down on 9 May 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 20 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Charlotte R. Sherman; and commissioned on 17 July 1944.

 

During World War II, LST'-708 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, LST-708 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 28 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 29 May 1948, the ship was sold to the Basalt Rock Co., of Napa, Calif., and subsequently scrapped.

 

LST-708 earned one battle star for World War II service.