LST-706 was laid down on 4 May 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 12 June 1944; sponsored by Miss Ethel C. Jones; and commissioned on 8 July 1944, Lt. Louis W. Schmidt, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-706 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the Leyte landings in November 1944 and the Lingayen Gulf landing in January 1945. Following the war, LST-706 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-February 1946. She was decommissioned on 19 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year.
LST-706 earned two battle stars for World War II service.