Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-705

 

LST-705 was laid down on 21 April 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 7 June 1944; sponsored by Miss Rose Zeller; and commissioned on 4 July 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-705 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Leyte landings—November 1944

Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945

Mindanao Island landings—March and April 1945

 

Following the war, LST-705 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 22 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 8 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Learner Co., of Oakland, Calif., for scrapping.

 

LST-705 earned three battle stars for World War II service.