Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-701

 

LST-701 was laid down on 1 April 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 18 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Willie S. Etheridge; and commissioned on 13 June 1944. During World War II, LST-701 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945

Nasugbu—January 1945

Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April through June 1945

 

Following the war, LST-701 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 13 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 27 October 1947, the ship was sold to the Moore Dry Dock Co., of Oakland, Calif., for scrapping.

 

LST-701 earned three battle stars for World War II service.