Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-699

 

LST-699 was laid down on 9 March 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 9 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Louise C. Calhoun; and commissioned on 5 June 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-699  was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Leyte landings—November 1944 Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945 Mindanao Island landings—April 1945 Following the war, LST-699 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 24 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 5 December 1947, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.

 

LST-699 earned three battle stars for World War II service.