LST-696 was laid down on 25 February 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 27 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Samuel G. Shannon; and commissioned on 25 May 1944.
During World War II, LST-696 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Morotai landings—September 1944
Leyte landings—November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Following the war, LST-696 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 16 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 19 May 1948, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-696 earned three battle stars for World War II service.