LST-691 was laid down on 25 January 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 23 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Helen T. Briner; and commissioned on 12 May 1944.
During World War II, LST-691 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August 1944. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 14 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June that same year. On 4 November 1946, the ship was sold to Hughes Bros., Inc., of New York, N.Y.
LST-691 earned one battle star for World War II service.