LST-690 was laid down on 31 January 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 14 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Dorothy E. Bryant; and commissioned on 6 May 1944, Lt. Comdr. Ernest C. Reif, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-690 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. Following the war, LST-690 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 23 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 16 December 1947, the ship was sold to James A. Hughes, New York, N.Y., for scrapping.
LST-690 earned two battle stars for World War II service.