LST-689 was laid down on 11 January 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 9 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Edith C. Smith; and commissioned on 2 May 1944, Lt. F. D. McKay, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-689 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the capture and occupation of the southern Palau Islands in September and October 1944. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned in March 1946. The tank landing ship performed no active post-World War II service. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Daggett County (LST-689) after a county in Utah. She was struck from the Navy list on 1 October 1959.
LST-689 earned one battle star for World War II service.