LST-688 was laid down on 17 January 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 5 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. James R. Collier; and commissioned on 27 April 1944.
During World War II, LST-688 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands—September and October 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—May and June 1945
Following the war, LST-688 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1956. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 5 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 17 September 1947, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping.
LST-688 earned four battle stars for World War II service.