LST-687 was laid down on 28 December 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 28 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Emma D. Bott; and commissioned on 22 April 1944.
During World War II, LST-687 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands—September and October 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April through June 1945
Following the war, LST-687 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 24 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 24 September 1947, the ship was sold to William E. Skinner for scrapping.
LST-687 earned four battle stars for World War II service.