LST-686 was laid down on 4 January 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 24 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Clara L. Vogt; and commissioned on 14 April 1944, Ens. H. A. May in command.
During World War II, LST-686 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Leyte landings—October 1944
Mindoro landings—December 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—March through May 1945
Following the war, LST-686 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 10 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 17 September 1947, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping.
LST-686 earned three battle stars for World War II service.