Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-683

 

LST-683 was laid down on 29 November 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 7 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Florence Robbins Bohr; and commissioned on 28 March 1944, Lt. Richard T. Paynter, USNR, in command.

 

Following World War II, LST-683 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 29 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. The ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steer Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., on 26 May 1948 for scrapping.