LST-681 was laid down on 10 May 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 1 July 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Pauline Taylor; and commissioned on 25 July 1944, Lt. (jg.) L. J. J. Spengler, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-681 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Lingayen Gulf landings—January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April through June 1945
Following the war, LST-681 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 6 September 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 8 October that same year. On 9 October 1947, the ship was sold to William E. Skinner for scrapping.
LST-681 earned two battle stars for World War II service.