LST-679 was laid down on 2 May 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 20 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John Soboslay; and commissioned on 15 July 1944, Lt. N. A. Nelmes in command.
During World War II, LST-679 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Leyte landing—November 1944
Mindanao Island landings—April 1945
Following the war, LST-679 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 24 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 25 May 1948, she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-679 earned two battle stars for World War II service.