Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-671

 

LST-671 was laid down on 28 March 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 11 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. H. B. Taylor; and commissioned on 2 June 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-671 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Leyte landings—October 1944

Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945

Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April through June 1945

 

Following the war, LST-671 performed occupation duty in the Far East until December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 25 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August that same year. On 26 September 1947, the ship was sold to the Boston Metals Co., of Baltimore, Md., for scrapping.

 

LST-671 earned three battle stars for World War II service.