Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-669

 

LST-669 was laid down on 18 March 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 3 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Faris Jones; and commissioned on 27 May 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-669 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Leyte landings—October 1944

Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April through June 1945

 

Following the war, LST-669 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 13 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. On 10 May 1948, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.

 

LST-669 earned two battle stars for World War II service.