LST-661 was laid down on 9 January 1944 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 30 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J. H. Elder; and commissioned on 28 April 1944.
During World War II, LST-661 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the capture and occupation of the southern Palau Islands in September and October 1944. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early April 1946. The ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 29 August 1946. On 25 July 1948, LST-661 was destroyed because of its unsalvage-able condition and struck from the Navy list on 13 September that same year.
LST-661 earned one battle star for World War II service.