LST-659 was laid down on 31 December 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 20 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. A. N. Mellott; and commissioned on 20 April 1944.
During World War II, LST-659 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early January 1946. The ship was decommissioned on 7 January 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 7 February 1947. On 25 May 1947, she was sold to the government of South Korea.
LST-659 earned one battle star for World War II service.