LST-656 was laid down on 13 December 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 18 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. F. H. Dill; and commissioned on 7 April 1944.
During World War II, LST-656 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late May 1946. The ship was decommissioned on 29 May 1946 and transferred to the State Department for disposition that same day. She was struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946.
LST-656 earned one battle star for World War II service.