LST-653 was laid down on 17 November 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 23 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. C. C. Smith; and commissioned on 1 April 1944, Lt. (jg.) H. C. Beasley, Jr., in command.
Following World War II, LST-653 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. The ship was decommissioned on 3 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 5 March 1947. On 31 May 1947, LST-653 was sold to the government of South Korea.