Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-647

 

LST-647 was laid down on 5 July 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 28 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Margaret H. Johnson; and commissioned on 19 October 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-647 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from March to June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East. The ship was decommissioned on 2           February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 23 December 1947. On 25 May 1948, she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.

 

LST-647 earned one battle star for World War II service.