LST-646 was laid down on 30 June 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 25 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Marie S. Pagoria; and commissioned on 13 October 1944.
During World War II, LST-646 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima in February and March 1945. Following the war, LST-646 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She was decommissioned on 15 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 17 April that same year. On 11 May 1948, the ship was sold to J. Willis Smith & Bros, for scrapping.
LST-646 earned one battle star for World War II service.