Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-643

 

LST-643 was laid down on 10 June 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 12 September 1944; sponsored by Lt. Cornelia W. Mattert, USNR; and commissioned on 2 October 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-643 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Iwo Jima in February 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-January 1946. LST-643 was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service on 31 March 1952 where she operated as USNS LST-643 until struck from the Navy list on 15 June 1973. On 17 September 1973, the ship was sold to S. S. Zee, Taipei, Taiwan, for scrapping.

 

LST-643 earned two battle stars for World War II service.