LST-636 was laid down on 22 May 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 11 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Katherine R. Biehler; and commissioned on 31 August 1944, Lt. T. M. Hayes, Jr., USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-636 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the Lingayen Gulf landing in January 1945 and the Mindanao Island landings in March and April 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early May 1946. The ship was decommissioned on 25 May 1946 and sold to Bosey, Philippines, on 5 December 1947. On 23 December 1947, she was struck from the Navy list.
LST-636 earned two battle stars for World War II service.