LST-629 was laid down on 13 April 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 8 July 1944; sponsored by Mrs. R. B. Douglass; and commissioned on 28 July 1944.
During World War II, LST-629 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Mindanao Island landings—April 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—June 1945
Following the war, LST-629 saw service in China until late December 1945. The ship was decommissioned on 4 March 1946 and transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service on 31 March 1952 where she served as USNS LST-629.
LST-629 earned three battle stars for World War II service.