LST-628 was laid down on 10 April 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 4 July 1944; sponsored by Mrs. P. G. Abernathy; and commissioned on 31 July 1944, Lt. Frank C. Siedenburg in command.
During World War II, LST-628 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946. The ship was decommissioned on 3 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. She was sold to the Ships & Power Equipment Corp., of Barber, N.J., on 9 December 1947 for scrapping.
LST-628 earned one battle star for World War II service.