LST-626 was laid down on 31 March 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 27 June 1944; sponsored by Miss Mary B. Ealston; and commissioned on 15 July 1944.
During World War II, LST-626 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Leyte landings—November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Mindanao Island landings—March 1945
Tarakan Island operation—April and May 1945
Brunei Bay operation—June and July 1945
Following the war, LST-626 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early March 1946. She was decommissioned on 2 March 1946 and transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service on 31 March 1952 where she served as USNS LST-626 until struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1972. On 25 May 1973, the ship was sold to the Dongkuk Steel Co. of America, Inc., Los Angeles, Calif., for scrapping.
LST-626 earned four battle stars for World War II