Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-625

 

LST-625 was laid down on 30 March 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 20 June 1944; sponsored by Miss Margaret Jones; and commissioned on 10 July 1944, Lt. George F. B. Capozzi, USNR, in command.

 

During World War II, LST-625 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the Lingayen Gulf landing in January 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. The ship was decommissioned on 11 February 1946 and transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service on 31 March 1952 where she served as USNS LST-625 until struck from the Navy list on 19 May 1954.

 

LST-625 earned two battle stars for World War II service.