Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-622

 

LST-622 was laid down on 15 March 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 8 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Ray Menefee; and commissioned on 26 June 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-622 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the Lingayen Gulf landing in January 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from March to June 1945. Following the war, LST-622 was decommissioned on 14 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 12 April that same year. On 13 April 1948, the ship was sold to Kaiser Co., Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping.

 

LST-622 earned two battle stars for World War II service.