LST-617 was laid down on 17 February 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 15 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. E. B. Payne; and commissioned on 1 June 1944, Lt. Howard J. Benward in command.
During World War II, LST-617 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Leyte landing—October 1944
Mindoro landing—December 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—March through June 1945
Following the war, LST-617 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 24 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 15 April 1948, the ship was sold to Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-617 earned three battle stars for World War II service.