LST-616 was laid down on 12 February 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 12 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Carrol McDaniel; and commissioned on 29 May 1944, Ens. Julian H. Rutherford, Jr., in command.
During World War II, LST-616 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in March and April 1945. Following the war, the ship performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early December 1945. She was decommissioned on 19 January 1946 and transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service on 31 March 1952 where she served as USNS LST-616. LST-616 was struck from the Navy list on 1 May 1961 and transferred to the government of Indonesia.
LST-616 earned one battle star for World War II service.