Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-609

 

LST-609 was laid down on 10 December 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 15 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Willard Maybauer; and commissioned on 15 May 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-609 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Leyte landing—October 1944

Mindoro landings—December 1944

Zambales-Subic Bay—January 1945

Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April 1945

 

Following the war, she was decommissioned on 4 January 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 21 January that same year. The ship was sold on 26 September 1947 to the Boston Metals Co., of Baltimore, Md., for scrapping.

 

LST-609 earned four battle stars for World War II service.