LST-606 was laid down on 27 November 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge and Iron Co.; launched on 3 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. George Milligan; and commissioned on 24 April 1944, Lt. William R. Brooks in command.
During World War II, LST-606 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands—September 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—April through June 1945
Following the war, LST-606 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-September 1945. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 13 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 June that same year. On 19 April 1948, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-606 earned four battle stars for World War II