Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-599

 

LST-599 was laid down on 18 July 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 2 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J. M. Robinson; and commissioned on 27 September 1944, Lt. P. P. Roney in command.

 

During World War II, LST-599 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until June 1946. The tank landing ship was decommissioned on 1 June 1946 and sold to Bosey, Philippines, on 5 December 1947. She was struck from the Navy list on 22 January 1948.

 

LST-599 earned one battle star for World War II service.

 

 

LST's took their share of the enemy's attention during World War II. LST-599'a crew fights flames off Okinawa on 3 April 1945 after a kamikaze exploded on deck. Although prophets of doom insisted that LST really meant Large, Slow Target, the type proved remarkably hardy. Of 1,117 LST's completed in Britain and the United States, 53 were lost to all causes during 1942-45. Twenty-six American LST's were lost to enemy action, and 13 more to the "perils of the sea."