LST-598 was laid down on 14 July 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 29 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Robert H. Vickery; and commissioned on 22 September 1944, Lt. Marion V. Reeder, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-598 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April and May 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early June 1946. LST-598 was decomissioned on 10 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 19 July that same year.
LST-598 earned one battle star for World War II service.