LST-597 was laid down on 12 July 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 28 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Bernice C. Palmer; and commissioned on 19 September 1944.
During World War II, LST-597 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Palawan Island landings—March 1945
Visayan Island landings—March and April 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—June 1945
Following the war, LST-597 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946. Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 5 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 29 September 1947. On 31 May 1948, she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-597 earned two battle stars for World War II service.