Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-596

 

LST-596 was laid down on 11 July 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 21 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Palmer L. McMichael; and commissioned on 14 September 1944.

 

Following World War II, LST-596 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-May 1946. She was decommissioned on 12 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September that same year. The ship was sold to Bosey, Philippines, on 5 December 1947.