Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-592

 

LST-592 was laid down on 24 June 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 5 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John Dixon; and commissioned on 1 September 1944.

 

During World War II, LST-592 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945

Mindanao Island landings—April through May 1945

Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—June 1945

 

Following the war, LST-592 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late November 1945. The ship returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 11 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. On 23 October 1947, she was sold to the Boston Metals Corp., Baltimore, Md., for scrapping.

 

LST-592 earned three battle stars for World War II service.