LST-591 was laid down on 21 June 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 2 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. W. B. Parsons; and commissioned on 29 August 1944, Lt. Robert C. Allen in command.
During World War II, LST-591 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the Mindanao Island landings in March 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946. The ship was decommissioned on 5 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 29 September 1947. On 24 May 1948, LST-591 was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-591 earned one battle star for World War II service.