Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-589

 

LST-589 was laid down on 8 June 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 26 July 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Russel S. Gibson; and commissioned on 24 August 1944.

 

Following World War II, LST-589 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-July 1946. She was decommissioned on 14 September 1946 and sold to Bosey, Philippines, on 17 December that same year. LST-589 was struck from the Navy list on 23 April 1947.