LST-586 was laid down on 1 June 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 15 July 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J. R. Woods; and commissioned on 15 August 1944, Lt. Charles E. Ford, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-586 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Leyte landings—November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Following the war, LST-586 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 17 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 29 September 1947. On 28 May 1948, the ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-586 earned three battle stars for World War II