LST-585 was laid down on 31 May 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 12 July 1944; sponsored by Miss Barbara Harper; and commissioned on 8 August 1944, Lt. A. P. Morse, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-585 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Tarakan Island operation—April and May 1945
Following the war, LST-585 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until mid-July 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 31 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 5 October 1946, the ship was sold to the Netherlands East Indies.
LST-585 earned three battle stars for World War II