LST-584 was laid down on 8 May 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 8 July 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Paul Galbraith; and commissioned on 5 August 1944, Ens. D. B. Russell, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-584 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the Mindanao Island landings in March 1945 and the Tarakan Island operation in April and May 1945. Following the war, LST-584 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 12 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 19 March 1948, the ship was sold to Green's Bayou Transporters, Houston, Tex., for non-self-propelled operation.
LST-584 earned two battle stars for World War II service.