LST-583 was laid down on 18 May 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 5 July 1944; sponsored by Mrs. D. C. Hollis; and commissioned on 2 August 1944, Lt. Philip E. Acker, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-583 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Lingayen Gulf landing—January 1945
Zambales-Subic Bay—January 1945
Mindanao Island landings—March and April 1945
Following the war, LST-583 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. She was decommissioned in March 1946. The tank landing ship was named Churchill County (LST-583) on 1 July 1955 after a county in Nevada. The ship was recommissioned on 1 November 1960 and performed services for Commander, Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet, until she was again decommissioned in September 1968.
LST-583 earned three battle stars for World War II service.